Wednesday 2 April 2014

Creating My Music Magazine Cover

From the beginning of this project, I knew I wanted my music magazine to look professional and like one of the more high-end music magazines, so I thought about this throughout the creation.

Firstly I took the layout template that I created for my college magazine because I thought that would be a good layout for my music magazine too and would help with the placement of things on my cover. I then took the photo that I would be using for my cover and opened it in Photoshop. I didn't think it needed too much editing but I sharpened it up slightly.


I decided to call my magazine "Record Magazine" as it's something associated with music. For the masthead, I searched DaFont.com to see if there was anything that appealed to me. I found this one which reminded me slightly of the font that's the same as Rolling Stone. I edited it so it was red, to add some colour and I erased the background. I then added it to the photo.



 
 
I then added the word "magazine" in a smaller size and different font underneath "record". Having it a different font and size, I thought would make the "record" stand out more as that would be the most recognisable thing if you were going to buy this magazine. I also added the date of the magazine under "magazine" as it's a common thing for a magazine to have.
 
 
 
When analysing different magazine covers, I saw on a Billboard Magazine cover that the barcode, price and website for the magazine together in the corner, so I took this idea and used it for my magazine.
 
 
 
 
 
I then added the anchorage title and the sell-line to go with it. I used a fonts from Photoshop and kept the title just the name of the cover star and the sell-line something short and snappy to intrigue the reader.
 
I added all the other sell-lines to the page, some with slightly more information than others e.g. instead of putting "interview with Haim", I just put the sell-line "Haim".
 


 
 
Then, to make the sell-lines stand out more and not look so flat and boring on the cover, I added the effect of a 'Drop Shadow' to all of them. I also added little lines between each sell-line (which I took from the Rolling Stone cover I analysed for inspiration) to break them up a bit and look more sophisticated.
 

 
 
This is my final cover:
 
 
I'm really happy with how my cover turned out. I think it looks simple but sophisticated which is the feel I was hoping for.

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment